kat's korner

Monday, February 14

Read it and Weep

I'm writing this paper on this feminist artist I had to see speak last week. It's hands down the funniest paper I've ever written. I have to rewrite it, but here's the closing of my rough draft as of right now:

I do not say that Helen Klebesadel is a load of shit because she is a woman. Actually some of her quilt paintings are quite lovely. I say she is a load of shit because of the egocentricity in which she approaches her work. Much like Modernist painting anything that is that focused on itself (like women’s studies) is bound to cave in on itself. If all a painting can express is what happened as a liberal rewriting of stories (“Medusa Remembered”) or a bowing to one’s own vision of self (“Crows are like feminists sitting high saying what no one wants to hear”-Klebesadel) then after patting yourself on your back and being applauded by your contemporaries, you will not have very much of worth left. I am sure that this is the unenlightened view of Helen Klebesadel, and that I have come away the one looking ignorant, and this I will not attempt to refute. However, I must say that if the work of Helen Klebesadel is to represent the work of all Feminist Artists, or Female Artists, as it seems she intends for the last century, then I am no longer interested in becoming a part of that group. Klebesadel said she was most concerned with “tell[ing] her truth” through her art. I guess her truth involves a lot of geisha masks and Melissa Ethridge songs.


hahahaha man i haven't written a paper in so long and I'm so tempted to turn this in. my teacher is so Frasier Crane in female form, and she would totally hate me forever, so I guess I shouldn't. But you know I probably will with a few minor changes.

my teeth hurt. and my ear aches.

happy valentines day. hahahahah.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:01 PM, Blogger Becky said…

    TURN IT IN! TURN! IT! INNNNN! AS IS! ASS IS!

    Um I especially enjoy the part where you talk about quitting art because of how much Klebesadel sucks. Also the part with geisha masks and Melissa Ethridge songs LOL forever. I will forever laugh out loud. Even if it is fucking Valentine's Day and even if my pants are wet from the rain and even if my hair looks (and has looked) like shit for the past three months. I Shall Forever Laugh Out Loud At Geisha Masks And Melissa Ethridge Songs!

    tell frasiera to sit on it. and then tell me that you've seen Soul Man, which is how I know of C. Thomas Howell and Rae Dawn Chong. She's a nympho and he's a white guy who takes black pills so he can turn his skin black and get a Harvard scholarship. They (of course) fall in love. Now that's what I call Affirmative Action!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Click here to get any of my CDs for $1